Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Summer Wreath

Recently, I had the urge to make something.  To Craft. 


Since our front door is bright red, I thought that a blue and white wreath would be perfect for the upcoming 4th of July holiday. 


However, when it comes to crafting, I always try to use what I have on hand.  So, instead of a patriotic wreath, I simply whipped together a summer inspired wreath.


I have this dress that I never wear.  


I absolutely love the fabric, but don't care for the style or fit on me. I held onto it in hopes of refashioning it one day. Well, with the bright, summery fabric, this was the perfect chance for me to reuse it. 


I grabbed one of the straw wreaths I had on hand (for projects I knew I wanted to do, like this one, but just haven't gotten around to them).



I sliced my dress into little squares, (they can be as large or as small as you'd like).


Then, grabbed my screwdriver from the shed, and got to stabbing....the fabric squares into the wreath that is.


The process goes fairly quickly, and I crossed my fingers that I would have enough fabric to cover the entire wreath.  Well, unfortunately I didn't, so, when I ran out, I found some coordinating scraps from my stash and filled the rest of the wreath.  I wrapped a ribbon around it and hung it on the inside of our front door since these colors don't really mesh too well with the red on the outside of our door.  Also, I didn't want to expose the fabric to the elements, incase it didn't hold up well with the recent rain and thunderstorms we've been having.


I love the pop of color it brings to our space. It's cheerful and perfect for the summer months, not just one holiday. 


I love how a wreath breaks up our all-white front door and will probably try to make one for every season.  Since summer is by far our longest season here in South Georgia, this wreath will be hanging for much of the year.


Harley and Baxter celebrated the 4th of July in style, and were sweet enough to pose (together) for a picture. 
We're so thankful and blessed for our freedom. It should be celebrated everyday!

2 comments:

  1. So cute Amanda!!! LOVE this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wreath!! But I want to know how you got both animals together to pose and look precious when I can't get two kids to cooperate like that!! Come work your magic again!

    ReplyDelete